TikTok, a video sharing social media platform launched in 2016 by Chinese company ByteDance has fast become one of the most used social media platforms in the world. It is the 7th largest social media network in the world with about 689 million active users.
The app has a monetization program called the TikTok Creators Fund where content creators who are 18 and above, have 10k followers and have garnered at least 100k views in 30 days are eligible to earn from the platform.
Soon after the app rose to popularity, music artistes and promoters started to tap into the platform to promote their music to increase the popularity of their songs.
TikTok gave creators the ability to use filters, music, videos and voice-overs from other users to create their own content, a feature other social media platforms like Snapchat and Instagram are starting to catch up on and have already incorporated into their own platform.
A lot of songs have become popular thanks to TikTok and as a music artist the question often times is how to leverage how relatively easy it is to go viral on the platform. Continue reading below to get the gist of how to make your music go viral on TikTok.
- Make a catchy record: the first step is making a “TikTok” viral-worthy record. Important elements of your song should be infectious beats and very good production in turn, catchy and easy to remember hook and also easy to sing along with lyrics. One element of this of course can make your record go viral but you sure might want to tick all these boxes.
- Create a challenge: get creative with your song, create a challenge with it. TikTok is a platform where challenges thrive. Creating a challenge with your song gives users and creators the opportunity to hop in on the trend and in turn give more popularity to your song.
- Collaborate: to give your song the visibility it needs on the platform, you might need to collaborate with a couple of already popular creators on TikTok. When these creators use your song for a video or better still do your challenge with it, this will spur other users too.
- Posting videos with your music: getting friends and family to share videos and post content with your music is also a good way to put your music out there and potentially make it go viral. Not everyone can afford to be able to collaborate with popular TikTok influencers so this step is another great way to make your music more discoverable. Also, whether your song has a challenge for it or not, posting videos regularly with your music also goes a long way. Comic and emotional videos are types of content that easily spread across and beyond TikTok.
- Joining already trending challenges: while creating your own challenge is great, leveraging on already trending challenges can also yield great results for your goal, how? Join already trending challenges but then use your own music as the soundtrack. As your video is being viewed your music gets the exposure you seek and that in turn could blossom into something good for your music.
- Make use of hashtags #: almost all social media platforms have adopted hashtags to help them label content according to the users’ interests. TikTok hashtags work similar way as hashtags work on other social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter. They help your content to be discovered and with that, is one step closer to going viral.